Butt acne can be embarrassing when wearing a revealing swimsuit, in the locker room, or while spending a romantic evening with a significant other. Thankfully, similar to acne on other parts of your body, butt acne can be treated. So what can you do to get rid of butt acne? Follow the simple tips in this class in and you will begin seeing results in a few days.
Causes of Butt Acne
Inside every hair follicle you have a gland that produces oil called sebum. The sebum mixes with dead skin cells from the hair follicle and under normal circumstances will exit your body. When there is a build up of too much oil, excess dead skin cells or something on the surface of the gland that blocks this process a blockage will occur. Acne vulgaris, the most common form of acne, occurs when a blockage occurs and bacteria joins the party.
Propionibacterium are the natural bacteria that inhabit your skin and live off the sebum produced in your glands. People who have an abundance of this bacteria in their follicles will form acne. Acne is simply your bodies natural response to excrete the backed up oils in your hair follicles.
Butt Acne Remedies
Some people experience acne on their buttocks while never having any on their face or other parts of their body. My best guess is that we tend to spend a lot of time on our butts, which makes it easier for glands to be come blocked. Treating butt acne is very similar to treating acne on other parts of your body. The following tips will help you get rid of butt acne fast.
- Wear cotton underwear or boxers. Cotton allows your skin to breath easier extracting sweat away from your body helping to prevent blockages in your glands. This allows the natural excretion of the oil in your glands.
- Wash your skin a couple times a day. Daily washing helps prevent the build up of oils and dead skin cells. You don’t want to over do it. I suggest washing in the morning and at night before you go to bed. Use a mild soap and a wash cloth to gently scrub your buttocks. Scrubbing to hard can irritate your skin leading to more problems such as infection or discomfort.
- Get your butt to the gym. Working out not only will help with your acne but will keep you physically fit and reduce stress levels. Properly maintaining stress levels helps to balance out your hormones so your body produces natural levels of sebum. As you work out your body will heat up opening your pores and the sweat your generate during a work out naturally helps clean out your pores.
- Take a shower after a strenuous work out. It’s tempting after a good workout to go home and collapse into the couch. However, the workout you just finished produced a lot of sweat that took dead skin cells out of your pores with it. Taking a shower after a work out will prevent the sweat and skin cells from blocking the pores you just worked so hard to clear out. Use a mild moisturizing soap and a wash cloth to get rid of the grime you worked up during your work out.
- Exfoliate your skin once a week to prevent acne. Using an exfoliating soap once a week will help remove dead skin cells and refresh your skin. Never over do it or you will dry out your skin and cause irritation which can be painful or lead to infection.
- Manage your stress levels. Stress can do very weird things to our bodies including a break out of acne. Make sure to take some personal time each day to relax. Small exercises through out the day such as deep breaths or listening to some calming music can help relieve stress.
- Maintain a healthy diet. Things such as smoking, drinking, caffeine and a poor diet can increase stress levels resulting in an increased chance of developing acne as well as other medical problems. Take care of yourself, you deserve it.
OTC Treatements for Acne
I’d always try the all natural remedies discussed above before using any sort of over the counter products. Also make sure to test any OTC products first on a small area of your skin to make sure you don’t have an allergic reaction.
- Buy some benzoyl peroxide. Acne suffers have found great results from gels or creams containing benzoyl peroxide. Benzoyl peroxide help kill the bacterias that cause acne. Apply some ointment to the effected area after taking a shower allowing the area to dry completely before getting dressed. It may take a few weeks to see results so don’t become discourage if it’s not cleared up immediately.
- Salicylic acid will help remove the the top layer of dead skin cells. This will help clear blocked pores allowing the sebum to naturally exit your body. Usually you can find cotton pads containing salicylic in the skin care section of your grocery store. Avoid putting this peeling agent on your buttocks if they are over irritated, scratched, or sensitive.
If nothing seems to be working you may want to visit your doctor for some antibiotics. Antibiotics help fight bacteria both big and small. Tetracycline is usually prescribed to fight acne. It works by preventing the bacteria from producing proteins. However, it’s not as simple as taking a pill and your acne disappears. Antibiotics can have a lot of side effects such as sensitivity to light, scaling or drying out of skin and the list goes on and on. I highly suggest you try the other methods mentioned in this article before turning to antibiotics.
Follow these tips to remove butt acne and you will start seeing results. Remember that it can take several weeks to see the results you want so don’t get discouraged. Pretty soon your butt will be as smooth as a baby’s bottom.